Workshop on Discrete Event Systems
The interdisciplinary field of Discrete Event Systems (DES) combines different formalisms, methodologies and tools from control, computer science and operations research. The research activity in this field is driven by the needs of many different applications domains: manufacturing, process control, supervisory systems, software engineering, transportation, etc.
The 15th Workshop on Discrete Event Systems (WODES’20) aims at providing researchers from different fields (control theoreticians and control engineers, software engineers and computer scientists, operations research specialists) with an opportunity to exchange information and new ideas, and to discuss new developments in the field of DES theory and applications.
The workshop will cover all topics in DES theory and applications, including (but not limited to) the following:
- Formalisms and modeling methodologies: Petri nets, automata, state charts, process algebras, max-plus algebra, queuing network;
- Control of discrete-event systems with emphasis on supervisory control and on real time control;
- Performance evaluation, optimization and scheduling;
- Diagnosis, fault detection, test, identification;
- Discrete approaches for hybrid systems;
- Event-driven methods in systems and control;
- Applications including manufacturing systems, transportation systems, power production, distributed systems, software engineering, home automation, workflow, telecommunication systems, biological systems;
- Automation methods and software tools enabling efficient handling of industrial-sized systems.
Welcome to WODES 2020, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
The 15th Workshop on Discrete Event Systems (WODES 2020) will be held at the Military Institute of Engineering (Instituto Militar de Engenharia – IME), Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, from May, 13th through 15th. IME is together with Polytechnic School of the Federal Universtiy of Rio de Janeiro, the oldest engineering school of all Americas (USA included). It is located at the pleasant neighborhood of Urca, opposite to Praia Vermelha (Red Beach) and next to the Cable Station to Sugar Loaf. It stays a few minutes away from the famous beaches of Copacabana, Ipanema and Leblon.
Rio de Janeiro, or just Rio, is the Marvelous City (Cidade Maravilhosa) of Brazil. People born in Rio, known as Cariocas, are welcoming and proud of their hospitality. Rio is the main cultural, touristic and educational center of Brazil, with the capability of satisfying every demand, thanks to a variety of hotels, international cuisine restaurants, bars, cafes and shops. It is more than Copacabana and Ipanema Beaches. Rio has around 13 beaches along its coast as sung by Tim Maia, a Brazilian soul music singer considered by BBC as one of the most influential artists of the 20th century. It is worth visiting each one of them.
Special Session Proposals due: October 31st, 2019
Submission site opens: November 10th, 2019
Initial paper submission due: December 16th, 2019
Decision notification: February 17th, 2020
Advance Registration due: March 9th, 2020
Final submission due: March 9th, 2020
Best student paper award nomination: April 2nd, 2020
IFAC Technical Committee Sponsors
TC 1.3. Discrete Event and Hybrid Systems
TC 1.4. Stochastic Systems
TC 3.1. Computers for Control
TC 5.1. Manufacturing Plant Control
TC 6.4. Fault Detection, Supervision & Safety of Techn. Processes – SAFEPROCESS